Friday 3 April 2015

Fleece for Spring

Well it may officially be spring here in the UK but there are certainly colder days ahead so the right time to make some fleece jackets.
Fleece is so wonderful to work with on many levels. Firstly it doesn't ravel so  clean finishes aren't an absolute must. Secondly, although fairly bulky to work with, it's so light yet warm and slightly waterproof so a great change of season jacket fabric. Also, it doesn't shrink so no need to launder before cutting out.

I took Pattie Otto's 'Sewing with Fleece' Craftsy Class and she made it look so easy I was totally inspired.

On our way back from a few weeks in Spain [to get through the worst of the winter] we stopped in Bergerac, France to visit some friends who took me to a huge fabric warehouse close by. I bought 1.5 metres of a double sided fleece of airforce blue on one side and light blue on the reverse [amongst other fabrics which will get blogged about in due course!!]. I had also bought some super long open ended zips from a Saturday market in Southern Spain for just €1.50 each. I couldn't wait to get home and get started on my coat but not before another purchase of some olive green fleece bought from a shop in Walthamstow, London for a very silly price. This fabric is softer and slightly thinner but totally lovely to work with.




This shows a bit of the neck and cuff detail using the reverse fabric to show the inside as a trim. It is also a truer example of the colours.
 This shows the pocket detail. The zip was so easy to insert using special non fusible sticky tape to keep zipper tape and fabric in place while it's sewn. I added some elastic into the hem allowance to add a bit of extra snug factor in this area.

 
The pattern for the second fleece in Sage green was slightly altered from the original options. I liked the design of the crossover neckline in the hoody version but didn't really want a hoody....
 So I cut out the high collar version but created the crossover at the front. My head slips through the opening easily but it closes itself into my neck for a really snug fit.


I added knitted rib cuffs with a small amount I had in my stash. This is a warm, lightweight top that will be a welcome addition to keep me warm in these not so warm days.


 I made a beanie hat from the leftover fabric.

This also shows a better example of the colour.
Have you thought of making a fleece or a jacket out of fleece fabric? It's not as scary as it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge