Friday 17 July 2015

Top from Weymouth Fabric

I bought some great fabric from So 'n' Sew in Weymouth last week and couldn't wait to get home and get started on it. The colours are exactly the same as the butterflies I embroidered on my white trousers so they would pair up well to make a good outfit. I don't usually go for flowers but this just spoke to me. It has a small amount of stretch so a fitted shirt was called for.

My original idea was long sleeves and a cuff  and I also wanted a collar with a 'V' neck but trying to work this out in my head before drafting was proving a bit complicated. Maybe I was trying to over engineer the whole thing?


Then I got a posting from Glenda of Sure-Fit Designs and I guess she must have been reading my mind [the Good Stitch has powers we didn't realise!!] because her new design incorporated the very neckline I was trying to achieve.

When I saw the sleeve detail, which she has done before but it never seemed to grab me, I decided to change my original design from long cuffed sleeves to a short sleeve with the 'V' hem. This had an added bonus because now I have enough fabric left over to make some shorts although I don't think I'll be wearing them together!!!

























Of course the top was made using my SFD body blueprint and I also used a trick I picked up from a Craftsy Class on Collars and Closures. Sara Alm shows how she sews fusible fabric to the outside edge of facing before turning and then pressing to the inside of the facing fabric. This was a great tip and made a very clean finish to the button plackets. This design with the 'V' opening should lie flat and not fold back but if it did there would be no serged edge showing and I like this method.


With a belt ???












We've been invited to a BBQ this weekend so I guess this will be my outfit...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jan...you are FAST! This blouse looks great on you and what a nice variation from the basic instructions. What can I say...but Well Done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda. This shirt would not have looked as good with long sleeves so thank goodness your email came in when it did. I'm now making the shorts in the same fabric and I'm doing a 'V' in the side seam hem so you've really started something now.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge