Tuesday 11 August 2015

Bergerac Jeans and an Owl.

Why bergerac Jeans I hear you enquire? Well that is where I bought this slight stretch denim type fabric while visiting friends who live there on our way home to England from a Spanish holiday in our motorhome. The material is softer than denim and has a warmth to it as well as a dusky blue colour that I love.

I have made these jeans before so I knew my sloper pattern was the right fit so it shouldn't take me too long to make these jeans right? Wrong!! It wasn't the cutting out or the sewing together that took the time it was the three whole days it took me to decide on what design to put on the back pockets.

The owl design stitched on the pocket before sewing
I didn't want the normal straight or curved diagonal lines and I didn't want anything  too bright or flash. Eventually I settled on an owl I had bought from EmbLibrary and stitched it out on the pocket fabric before making and placing them into position.
I then decided to embellish the front pockets and belt loops with a fancy straight stitch design using the same embroidery thread as the owl.


Both pockets completed before placing on back pieces
 I'm really pleased with how they turned out. They are fully lined so the tiny pieces of cut away stabiliser are hidden although I tend to use back pockets purely as a design feature rather than as a functional pocket and who would want to look inside my pockets anyway!!!?? Never mind, I am trying to live by the Craftsy Class tutors code to make the insides as good as the outsides and this has certainly helped my sewing education.

Pockets and yoke pieces sitiched in place
So here are the pockets and yoke in place. The photos make the colour look more purple than it actually is. The top picture of the owl has the best likeness for colour.

My favourite new tool is definitely a Frixion pen which I used to accurately mark the placements not only when hooping the design for embroidery but also on the fabric pieces. This just disappears as soon as you put the iron or warm water on it. I'm told the marks may come back if you put it in the freezer but as I am unlikely to ever get that cold I'm not too worried.
Front Pocket and belt loop detail

Completed jeans
Well here are the completed jeans and I'm very happy with the result.

The tank top is a muslin that I made very quickly yesterday using some leftover knit fabric and fold over elastic to bind the edges.

I'm delighted that I haven't got 'Bingo Wings' but I found RTW sleevless tops never seem to fit properly so I tend to go for short sleeve T-shirts.

I wanted  a vest top with the armscye matching up on the front and across my back and the straps to fit properly so my bra straps don't ever show. The muslin worked fairly well although I think I'll make the back neck slightly higher next time.

 The blue sweater top wasn't originally going to have any embroidery but the very white ribbing on the neckline and cuffs made it look like a football strip so I added the design to make it more individual.





We were up in Leighton Buzzard last Monday and they have a lovely shop called Fabric World which I couldn't resist. I found the ribbing I was looking for but it had been at the bottom on a shelf for probably quite some time and was quite grubby. I struck a great bargain with the owner and was delighted when the marks easily came out with washing. What had appeared as an off white creamy yellow with mucky brown marks is now the most glorious brilliant white.

It's always worth asking for a deal and that makes home sewing even more pleasurable when you know you have a unique closet of garments that cost less than half if you'd bought them ready made, plus the fit and design is personal and you have had the pleasure of using a hobby to create it. So WIN, WIN, WIN..





2 comments:

  1. Another fabulous display of your talent. And now signed up to follow so won't miss another one!! Lovely to see you at the party sportjng another of your outfits. Enjoy your holiday - hope you don't get sewing withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, it was lovely to catch up with you all. We are currently in Luxembourg with a bit of rain but looking for more sun as we get further south. I really appreciate your encouragement.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge