Happy New Year to everyone. We're off again for a new sewing year and lots of makes ahead. I have been quite busy having made three shirts a cardigan and a pair of jeans since the middle of December but I only got around to taking the photos today. I won't blog about them all together so watch out for the rest a bit later.
First up was a shawl collar blouse.
It's very difficult to see the shawl collar as the print is so busy but the pattern was drafted from my Sure-fit Designs Blueprint using Glenda's wonderful instructions.
The print was so busy I didn't even attempt to match the placket but it seems to have disappeared nonetheless.
The fabric was a remnant bought from C&H in Chichester when we were staying down there late last year. It looks like a liberty print and feels soft and warm with a good drapey feel without being as slippery as silk. I used leftover scraps for the under collar in another shirt you'll see in my next blog. I love the feel and fit of this shirt but I think I should have made the sleeves a tad shorter although I like the blousey way they hang. I have corrected the pattern for next time.
I suppose I should also blog about the black jeans here as I am wearing them with the blouse.
The jeans are from a stretch medium weight denim bought whilst on a visit to Goldhawk Road in London last year. I chose a seahorse for the back pocket design and a silver thread I thought would look good. The practice sample went without an issue and I got as far as you see in the picture with the first pocket when disaster struck. The nest of thread you see me holding was what I retrieved from under the thread plate and it's not easy to photograph but the other shots show the birds nest on the underside.
I had to rethink my plan as this just wasn't doing my machine or my nervous system any good at all. I changed to a brilliant white rayon thread and both pockets stitched out perfectly, Phew!
I decided that top stitching in the brilliant white would be a bit too much so I chose a grey which is more subtle and looks more professional.
I also remembered to flip the seahorse design so they were a matching pair.
Black is a dreadful colour to photograph and although they didn't look bad on my tablet they seem to look a lot more grainy since I've uploaded them but I hope you get the picture [pun intended!!!].
Well that's two garments with a few more to come and meanwhile I'll try to re-take the photo's and see if I can do slightly better.
My wish for 2016 is still to master a well fitted tailored jacket so watch out for my progress on that during the year.
I'd like to find a course either here [in the UK] or somewhere warm and not too expensive. I think once I've achieved one I'll be set for doing more. It's not the sewing or construction so much as the getting it to fit correctly. If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear from you.