Tuesday 23 February 2016

Funky Shoe T-Shirt

What a bargain! I bought over two metres of this funky medium weight stretch fabric for just £2.00 on eBay.

I made this simple long sleeved T-shirt [excuse the legs!!] and I have enough left over for a short sleeve 'V' neck version.



























This was a quick and easy make from a pattern I have drafted before. I used my overlocker for the whole thing except for the hem. Here I pressed some wonder web about 5 cm from the edge [I did overlock the edge first]  with the hem turned up the same amount so the wonder web was sandwiched within the hem. I then used the zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine to secure it. I like this method of hemming a T-shirt because it makes a crisp hem in the stretchy fabric and behaves well after stitching.

This is probably a little longer than I had intended as it looks more like a tunic top in the photos. I may shorten this after I've worn it a few times if I think it would look better tucked into jeans.

This picture shows a close up of the hem which is difficult for the camera to pick up but I hope you can see the Zig-Zag stitch and the sharp edge to the hem that fusing the wonder web achieved.
Don't you just love all these little tips and tricks that we in the sewing community share with each other to educate and inform us all and help us improve our level of professionalism along with the added enjoyment of conquering another helpful technique?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you

Sunny Top from Sew My Style Challenge